Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Look Beyond the Top-Ranked Schools

The schools That Attract the attention of most is the day That USNews & World Report ITS unveils much-anticipated rankings are the ones That command the top spots. 

[See the new Best Colleges 2011 rankings.] 

Today, however, I'd like to focus on the schools That Never get to Bask in the bright lights of the college rankings hoopla. I'm talking about the colleges and Universities That are at or near the bottom of the rankings. 

I started my college career at one of hmmmm schools. I attended the University of Missouri-St. Louis, WCG is a commuter school That isn't Particularly selective and Its graduation rates Zapraszamy definitely use improvement. According to U.S. News's latest stats, 30.5 PERCENT, investigation of its freshmen do not return for a second year. Only 41 PERCENT graduate in Six years. 

UMSL happened to be 1.5 blocks from my home. The deal cut That my parents with my four siblings and me was That They'd pick up the tab if Entire me went Thurs UMSL, wakes Offered an affordable education. If UMSL Did not have our Intended major, mom and dad'd pay for us girls on Thurs attendee at the University of Missouri campus. 

[See tips Paying for College.] 

I had a wonderful experience at UMSL as a history major and it was at this school think I Discovered my passion for journalism. As a junior, I Transferred to the School of Journalism at the University of Missouri in Columbia, M I was equally happy. If I hadn't attended UMSL, Might I not have never stumbled into a career That I've enjoyed for more than just 30 years. 

If you end up Attending a poorly ranked school, I would perhaps not stress about it. It's important to go to a college that's a good fit for you, Even if it's not at the top of a rankings list. Besides, it's what you do in college That Matters, Not Where You Go. 

So for all of you out there Heading Thurs schools with rankings in the basement, here are four tips: 

1. Get Involved. The reason why I am a journalist today is vowed Because I think I wasn't going to be "just a number" at UMSL. Particularly I was Worried about That Because I had attended a small girls' high school. I ran for student government (and won) and Signed up to write for the student newspaper and Discovered think I really liked Writing. 

2. Seek out Professors. Universities at big it's going to be more Difficult, but their it's certainly doable To Reach Out To Professors. At UMSL, I Connected with a professor there, Ken believed in me and convinced me think I had a talent Writing. 

3. Keep your eye on the clock. One of the Knocks against the lower-tier schools is Their low graduation rates. These schools often do not enjoy the resources That the top schools enjoy. That's why it's Even More That You notice consult an adviser every semester to try to ensure that your are-taking the right classes and are a track Thurs graduate on time. 

4. Check out the tutors. You will Reduce your chances of Receiving Grades poor if you take advantage of the free tutors That Universities routinely Provida. And if your school has a Writing Center, use it. Even "A" students in high school Can often use some extra help at the college level. 

Here's the bottom line: Do not forget That Where You end up going to college isn't Nearly as important as earning a college degree.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Cheap Domains